Monday, April 19, 2010

The Clique
-social commentary
I stick with my clique.
you make me sick
My Clique is so slick
they know every trick-
They tell me to jump
I ask how high?
They tell me to hump
and I ask what guy?
They tell me how to have fun
To lose weight or get bigger
They give me a gun-

and I pull the trigger.

-Holly Tamale

Photo by: Alexandria Daniels http://alexandriadaniels.blogspot.com
This is the story of a girl, seeking to find a sense of belonging.
In her attempt to do so, she conforms to a clique.
In this clique she will do anything to fit in or to prove herself.
She becomes a puppet- changing her appearance, hooking up with random guys, and having fun only the way the clique sees fit.
The narrator of this poem is an example of the many people who are pressured to do things to be "accepted" become part of the "in-crowd".
The ending of the poem can be interpreted many ways. I won't give anything away, but notice how the last line in the poem stands alone from the rest.
Regarding the photo-
Tonight my friend Alex and I went out for a photoshoot (alex is a photographer) She tried to take one under the tree I talked about in my previous entry, but by the time we got there it was really dark and the lighting didn't come out right. But she did get some pretty cool pictures.
We will get one with the tree when it is lighter outside. =]
In the mean time, check out Alex's other works and her blog- (Link under photo above)


1 comment:

  1. I love this poem. Great commentary. I don't like cliques. You should always be yourself and hang with friends who are gonna be there for you.

    ReplyDelete